North Star Law fees for assistance with probate or letters of administration: fees and other costs
Fixed fees and hourly rates
When possible we offer fixed fees for probate work. The factors we consider to price is include:
- The number of hours we expect to have to work
- complexity of the case
- volume of different assets
- variety of assets
- types of debt
- potential disputes amongst heirs
- whether there is a Will or not
- number of jurisdictions in which assets are located
- whether there are any shareholders and what form they are in
If a fixed fee is not possible, we charge on a time spent basis according to the following hourly rates:
- Private client solicitors £350 per hour (+ vat)
- trainees £200 per hour (+ vat)
- paralegals £150 per hour (+vat)
All the private client solicitors at North Star Law Ltd have at least 10 years experience.
When we are instructed on an hourly rate bases we try to give you a full estimate before you agree to instruct us.
All our costs are exclusive of Vat and disbursements
What will our service include?
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
What services will not be included in the fixed fee?
Unless we confirm otherwise, our fixed fee will not include:
- legal fees for disposing of any real estate (although we would be happy to refer you to North Star Law Ltd’s property solicitors for this assistance)
What other costs may there be?
These fees vary from property to property. We can give you an accurate figure once we have sight of your specific documents. In most applications, the main additional costs will be:
- Bank charges, copying/scanning and postage fees; when we are scanning/ copying a large number of documents for you, we will make a one-off administrative charge of £50 to cover our costs relating to scanning/ copying your documents
- postage costs
- Probate application fee
- £5 Swearing of the oath (per executor)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£3 per beneficiary)
We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
How long will the application take?
How long it will take from your offer being accepted until the transaction is complete will depend on a number of factors and we can advise you better when we know of the circumstances in the particular case.
Who will be carrying out the work: team qualifications and experience
Work on your case will be carried out by a solicitor, with the assistance of trainee solicitors or paralegals. Information on the team members can be found on the team website page. For further information please contact Benedikte Malling.